STEaM Photography Show
NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES - August 29, 2014 Deadline
The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History will host a photo art exhibit that invites members of the community to share their photographic talent and eye for everything that is Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics (STEaM). The “Atomic STEaM Photography Show” exhibition will open on November 8, 2014, and will display photography ranging from the literal engineering feats of the Great Wall of China and the Great Pyramid of Giza, to the abstract interpretation of science as seen through a plant experiencing photosynthesis. Though all photographs must relate in some way to the overall theme of science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics, they are open to interpretation by the photographer.
Any individual, from a professional photographer to a student with a camera phone, may submit a photograph to this competition/exhibition with the hope to not only win a cash prize but to also have their work on display in a nationally accredited, Smithsonian affiliated museum. All winning entries will debut at the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History from November 8, 2014, through January 4, 2015.
Panel of Jurors
- Thomas Barrow, Emeritus Professor of Art and Art History, University of New Mexico
- Mary Anne Redding, Chair of Photography Department, Santa Fe University of Art and Design
- Steve Yates, Fulbright Scholar, Museum Curator, Photographic Artist, International Lecturer and Writer
Click here for more information on the Jurors.
- 1st Place Award - $500 Cash Prize
- 2nd Place Award - $250 Cash Prize
- 3rd Place Award - $150 Cash Prize
- Three Honorable Mention Awards - $50 Cash Prizes
- Entry Deadline: August 29
- Notification of Acceptance: October 10
- Photos Delivered to Museum: October 24
- Exhibit Opening: November 8
- Exhibit Closes: January 4, 2015
Each entry fee is $15, and there is no limit to the amount of entries an individual can submit.
Sale of Photographs
Unless requested otherwise, all photos accepted into Atomic STEaM Photography Show will be available for sale to the public through the Museum Store with a 15% commission fee (Photographer will set the price). Payment of proceeds from sales to photographers will be made after the close of the exhibition. If you do not wish to sell your photographs, please list them as NFS (not for sale) on the entry form and include their “Insurance Value."
How to Enter
All photographs must be submitted by August 29, 2014.
Each photo can be submitted electronically on our website or can be mailed to the Museum. Each electronic entry consists of one entry form, one entry fee of $15 and one image. There is no limit to the number of photographs that can be submitted per entrant, but each entry requires completion of this online form as well as a $15 fee.
Click here for more information on mail-in entries.
Notification of juror’s selected photographs for exhibition will be sent out by October 10, 2014.
Photographs Accepted for Exhibition
- Each photograph must be mounted in a window mat (There are no restrictions on mat color)
- The minimum overall mat size is 11” x 14”
- The maximum overall mat size is 20” x 24”
- Mats must have a minimum of a 2 inch board on all 4 sides
- Each matted photograph must be backed with a 3/16” foam board the same size as the mat
- Each mat, photograph and foam backing must be securely adhered to each other to create a stable unit
- Attach an identification label (use the ID labels provided at the bottom of this page) to the back, lower right-hand corner of the photograph’s backing board
- Framed photographs will not be accepted
- Photographs with attached hanging devices will not be accepted
Delivery or Shipment of Photographs to Museum
- Hand-delivered photographs may be delivered to the Museum between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday only, between October 11 and October 24, 2014
- Shipped entries must be packed in sturdy, crush-proof, reusable containers (Note: At the close of the exhibit, these containers will be used to ship your photographs back to you. Please enclose a pre-paid return label from FedEx, UPS or USPS)
- Please do NOT use foam peanuts or shrink wrap to pack your photographs, as they make repacking exceptionally difficult
- At the close of the exhibition, return shipping of photographs will begin on January 8, 2015
- Hand-delivered photographs may be picked up at the Museum between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, after January 8, 2015. Any photograph not picked up by January 22, 2015 will be disposed of at the discretion of the National Museum of Nuclear Science & History
If your photograph has been accepted into the 2014 Atomic STEaM Photography Show, and you are shipping it or hand-delivering it to the Museum, please attach a copy of this ID label to the bottom, right-hand corner of each photograph’s backing board.
Terms and Conditions
Click here for terms and conditions.
Questions and inquiries about the Atomic STEaM Photography Show can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.